Hey so I don’t do a MA that has katas, I do capoeira, so I don’t have any experience with them, this is just a matter of curiosity. But whenever I see someone doing one I realize that I have no idea what the person is doing about 95% of the time, and the remaining 5% is conjecture.
In capoeira we have sequences, which are moves which synchronize well together and after doing them all the time you tend to break it out without thinking when playing a jogo in the roda (this is our version of sparring). So my question is really, are katas like the ‘eastern’ version of sequences? And if so is every movement supposed to be some sort of attack/block/evasion, or is some of it thrown in there simply to convolute the movements, for some traditional reason like hiding the attacks from beginners or something?
I’ve read about them online but everything seems to just say the same thing, like people copied it from Wiki, and doesn’t concern this topic. Thanks in advance ladies and gents.
Ooohhh, these answers are all pretty informative, thx guys, I will wait for a day or two before choosing the best answer in case anyone else answers, but as it stands now I wish I could choose more than one.